Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Grope Gripe

On the commute home last night I got really excited when I saw a seat available on the subway. I took out my iPod and book and started reading.

The guy sitting next to me had a backpack on his lap and looked like he had a rough day and probably needed the love a good woman. Unfortunately, he decided to choose my left thigh as a good place to start.

When I sat down his hands were underneath his backpack; when I sat down he placed them at his sides - this isn't proper train etiquette.

I continued with my book (read: using my peripheral vision to keep an eye on his hand) and within seconds, the guy had his palm resting on my thigh. Mistakes happen, so I gave him the "what the fuck" eyes - the same eyes you give to someone talking in a movie theater. He didn't flinch, just looked back.

Had this worked for him before?

I got up immediately - sad to relinquish reading time - and scowled the rest of the way home. It might be time for New York to adapt like the Japanese.

2 comments:

d3c3mb3r4 said...

UGH this was so flagrant! I had this happen once, years ago, and I was wearing a short skirt so my thigh was bear, and it PISSED ME OFF. I was with a gay friend who did NOT defend my honor. You should've yelled at him or asked someone next to you to switch seats so that he'd be embarrassed. I don't know, it's so frustrating!

Lillie said...

A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless-- NO, it's not me) recently was groped on an airplane while she was knocked out on Ambien. The guy next to her, who was also asleep, started spooning her and then she woke up when he started creeping his hand down her shirt. ewwwwwy.