Friday, October 17, 2008

Crush Out of Context

Ever since I moved into my new neighborhood in May, I've seen this guy I've developed a major crush on. Sometimes we ride the train together (the best mornings!), I pretend to read, but I'm so busy staring at him. We get on the train at the same stop and exit at the same stop, we're clearly made for each other.
He's got a sense of humor (he participated in Moustache May, which was step 1 in making me fall in love with him), he's smart (he usually reads The New Yorker), he loves music (he's never without his iPod), he is a snazzy dresser (he was wearing a suit with a VEST underneath it once) and he's handsome (in an off-beat way). Actually, he's a hotter version of Dave Foley.
I know this sounds very Fatal Attraction, but I also know I'm not alone in falling in love on the subway.
I should probably just say something to him, but I'm afraid he's going to open his mouth and ruin the crush. Or, what if he has a secret "subway girlfriend" crush on ME and I ruin his crush by saying something stupid. I told a friend of mine that it was my goal that by the close of 2008, I'd at least smile at him.
Well, last night could have been my big chance. I saw subway boyfriend at the grocery store at the end of my street. It was so out of context that I panicked: it wasn't morning, I looked terrible, we weren't on the subway platform, I wasn't wearing my iPod. He looked right at me and smiled, and what do I do? Run down the cereal aisle.
I picked up what I needed and saw him in line for the check-out. I should have stood behind him in the queue. Instead, I went to another check-out and quickly paid so I could see which direction he lived. I was too late. Gone ...
... until of course, I see him again this morning, with his New Yorker, in a suit (on casual Friday!), listening to his iPod. I ask again: Why am I single??

2 comments:

Maggie Mae said...

listen i hate to tell you, but if he's wearing a vest and is white, he's probably not straight. but just in case he is straight i say just go for it. just walk up and say hi. it has always been my policy that when it comes to love, you should never be afraid to look stupid or be rejected, because just the possibility of what you might get from your moment of bravery will always, always, always be worth the risk.

Wellsmus said...

Either he's making a lot of money or he's overdressed. To illustrate my point, I myself am guilty of overdressing. Those coats I got from my grandfather? Overdressing! But the perception that you can't wear vests and be straight, well, not true. True, I don't have a vest, but if I did, I would wear it.

You should walk up to him if he's holding onto a subway pole and say, "This pole taken?" You can have that one for free.