Monday, July 21, 2008

Momdate

My mother is doing much better physically. She has a walker, and can - for the most part - move around on her own. She had a really bad tumble last week where she broke her nose and got two black eyes, but that hasn't stopped her.

She's on so much medication, however; she really isn't the same mom in the mental sense. One part that hasn't been affected: her impecable taste in cinema. I was home for a few days and went to pick up her Oxycontin (after I walked RIGHT into a glass door at the hospital from being so tired/hopped up on "OX") said, "Hiya Mom!" No answer. "Mama Bear?" She was staring SO intently at the screen, I said, "Mom! What are you watching?"

"I just LOVE Mark Wahlberg, don't you?"

"Not really, ma. What IS this?"

She was watching Fear. And LOVING it.

I marched right to our computer and said I was signing her up for Netflix because this behavior has to stop. The only two things she wants on her queue? The Bucket List and Semi-Pro.

No amount of rehab or physical therapy will change the woman whose first VHS to DVD conversions were Robo Cop and the Santa Clause II.

1 comment:

Lillie said...

You should get her the entire first season of Rescue Me. It's a hit with post-op moms everywhere.