Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Baby, I Stole Your Money ... Don't You Worry

I'm going to Costa Rica in three days (!!!), and was getting ready to call my bank to let them know there will be some international transactions on my card. I mean, there is a bar called "The Hook Up" near our hotel, how could I not?
When I went to pick up my phone, I already had a voicemail from my bank saying they're investigating a fraud charge.
I didn't panic because one of my traveling companions had a similar call from her bank yesterday. She bought us tickets to a rainforest tour in Costa Rica, and the charges sent a red flag back to her bank. I figured the hotel or rental car - both on my card - were charged.
When I got home from work, I called my bank and they told me that a hospital on the South Shore of Massachusetts was trying to transfer $3,100 out of my checking account. Thankfully, my bank denied the out-of-sorts transaction.
My customer service rep and I went through what I needed to do, how this could happen, who did this, what's wrong with humanity (shit got philosophical), the state of the economy and even his personal history with this sort of crime. Despite the circumstances, we had a very pleasant conversation for about 20 minutes, so I'm going to go ahead and throw that "dating" tag up on this post.
Everything is going to be OK, but, humanity? Why do you have to keep on testing us?

2 comments:

Sun Follower said...

I don't really hate to place the blame on Mercury Retrograde (see my blog if you wish) but jesus, something's got to give with this type of nonsense.

Lillie said...

A HOSPITAL? It may as well have been a church, or an orphanage for starving lepers.