Thursday, April 30, 2009

Quit HOGging the Supplies (Get it?)

Last night, I went to the two Rite Aids in my neighborhood to buy a little hand sanitizer as ammo to the Swine Flu everyone is freaking out about. They were completely out. The Rite Aid downstairs at my job in Rockefeller Center was out, too.
They were also sold out of face masks and a lot of their hand soap. I'm trying not to get worried about this, but the first U.S. outbreaks were at the same high school my ex-boyfriend and two of my close friends went to in Queens. I live in Queens, therefore, I probably have Swine Flu (although hard to tell when my allergies are raging right now, too).
This morning on the train into work, I saw a woman who was breathing into a pink hand towel. Last night I walked home and passed a big group of people wearing face masks. I went on a date with a guy on Monday and he offered me hand sanitizer within the first few minutes of seeing each other. Everyone else is making me feel like I should worry more. Kind of like my mom's worries when I first got my driver's license: "It's not you I'm worried about, it's the other drivers!"

2 comments:

josh said...

Swine flu shmine flu.

Yeah, I said shmine flu.

Here's my message to all the worriers:

Americans with health insurance, don't panic. You're only in trouble with swine flu if you're poor and have little or no access to health care (I'm really sorry, poor people, once again you are out of luck).

Anonymous said...

i agree with josh. also, you should only be worried if, say, you paid almost $600 to go to Mexico for a wedding in two weeks. JUSTSAYING.