Monday, February 9, 2009

College Bands

In high school, a lot of my friends were in the band. I used to play the violin when I was younger, but there was no place for me to wear a bad uniform and travel to competitions.
I've always been really impressed with my musical friends, and have a whole new respect for them joining a traditionally unpopular social group in high school, some in even still in college.
Over the last few days there have been two amazing performances from college bands backing up two of my favorite bands: Beirut and Radiohead.
Friday night I went to the Brooklyn Academy of Music to see Beirut perform. They're such a talented band, and midway through their performance they used a backing band: the Vassar College orchestra. The show was incredible, they played a lot of new stuff and good Lord, the lead singer is a babe. I think more men screamed out "you're so hot!" than women did.
That same night they performed on Letterman, and used some of the orchestra in that performance as well:

And, on last night's Grammy's Radiohead gave an amazing performance with USC's marching band. In case you didn't see it, here it is (feel free to skip over Gwenyth Paltrow until she rightly calls them the "utterly brilliant Radiohead"):

1 comment:

Sun Follower said...

Radiohead rocked it indeed!