Monday, June 30, 2008

Play or Get Played

I can't stop watching The Wire.

Friends have been recommending this show for awhile, and now it's off the air. My library surprised me by having this show there, but it is Queens after all - so it's informational survival skills practically. They only had season one, but I'm already very invested.

I watched five hours worth the other night and I'm afraid my roommate might think I'm engaging in other nocturnal activities because I'm locked in my dark room exclaiming, "Oh my god!" and gasping very loudly. But, maybe it's better that way; it's certainly more respectable than, "Oh, I was just watching The Wire. Can you believe Omar kissed that other guy? Is that what they mean by "down low"? Oh! And then some guys RIPPED OUT THIS DUDE'S EYE later - wow, he really DOES have heart!!"

In elementary school I wasn't allowed to wear certain colors or Raiders gear to school because of gang violence, so I clearly understand what the characters are going through. You know, and the drug culture: I've smoked pot probably five times - the first time with an Eagle Scout. There was also this one time that I was working at a retirement home dining room and some hoodrats gave me what they said was a Metabolife, but I didn't remember an entire shift or a heartbeat for three hours. And then there was that time I got into a fight in Queens.

Today the show even interferred with work. I had set my alarm for 6:30 am which would give me plenty of time to snooze, shower and then move my car for street cleaning and make it to work by 8:30 am. I even slept with the curtain open to let the sun light in. I took all these precautions because I had come home from a very fun, but exhausting weekend in DC and an equally exhausting bus ride home (which involved driving by Baltimore!). Well. My alarm FINALLY woke me up at 8:24 am and I had three minutes to gather all my work stuff before getting a ticket on my car. Thank goodness I still lay my clothes out like my mom did for me in pre-school. I didn't even have time to brush my teeth (ew), drove around for about 20 minutes looking for a spot and got to work 45 minutes late. All day I was dressed ok, but I had an awful feeling in my mouth and my hair was nastily slap-dashed into a pony tail with an office rubber band. But, here I am, finally showered and writing this and back for more.
I'm just glad to have an HBO show, other than Sex and the City, that accurately portrays what life is truly like. I definitely recommend the show, who knew I would like it so much?

No comments: